Gluten free pigs in a blanket
The recipe of the week is: easy pigs in a blanket!
I went to a party last week and of course they were serving pigs in a blanket, but I had to stick to hummus and carrots, of course.
I decided to try to make a gluten free version without the pastry. More like a mini hot dog and I was impressed how great the outcome was.
Prep time: 30 min
Waiting time: +- 1.5h
Oven temperature: 350F
Allergens: contains eggs, dairy and almonds. It can be made dairy free - see substitutions below.
- ½ cup potato starch
- ⅔ cup rice flour
- ⅙ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp (4 grams) xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp psyllium husk
- ½ cup milk (or lactose free/almond or oat milk)
- 30 ml water
- 10g olive oil or butter
- 1 egg (large - 60g)
- 6 Hot dog sausages (or if you can find the mini sausages, it looks even better)
- 1 egg yolk
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Mix the milk and water.
- In a mixer add the eggs, 100ml of the milk and water mix and the olive oil (or butter).
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer. Mix until all the ingredients have been incorporated. Add the remaining water and milk mixture, little by little. The dough should be slightly sticky. Not too sticky. If you are in a humid climate you will likely need to add less liquid. I added all of it, but I am in Chicago and it is very dry.
- Make a ball with the dough. Cover it and let it rise until it doubles the size.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- On a clean table or kitchen countertop (I clean with vinegar and water) spread the cornstarch with your hand and place the dough on top.
- Cut two sheets of cling plastic wrap and place it on top of the dough so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin. Open the dough. Don't make it too thin because it may break when you roll the dough around the sausage.
- Cut the dough into even strips and place it around the sausages.
- Brush the egg yolk on top of the pings in a blanket. Wait for 20 min for the yeast to start acting.
- Place inside the oven until it's golden brown.
Voila! Let us know your thoughts!